Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sunday, February 03, 2013 ****************************************** DEAD END ********************* If I criticize the 1% it’s because I am on the side of the 99%. If I don’t enjoy the support of the 99% it may be because the secret ambition of most of them is to join the 1%. * Freedom of religion also means the freedom to brainwash children. If we don’t see the harm in that it’s because we live in a world in which subservience is valued more than freedom, intolerance more than tolerance, revenge more than justice, and ultimately war and massacre more than peace and coexistence. * On the day we learn to think for ourselves we may have a better chance to achieve solidarity not only with our brothers but also with our enemies. * Always treat today’s enemy as if he were tomorrow’s friend. * If I am different it’s only because I rely more on my own thinking than on the thinking of empty suits and bearded charlatans who make a comfortable living by deceiving the defenceless and the ignorant. # Monday, February 04, 2013 ***************************************** SOUND BITES ******************************** If Christianity has legitimized intolerance, persecution, torture, war and massacre, can we really say “There are good religions?” * I don’t believe in optimism. Hell, I don’t even believe in pessimism. In pessimism we construct a narrative that makes sense. But evil is incomprehensible. So is reality. That’s why every historian creates his own version of the past. * Does it make sense to say what’s theirs is bad and what’s ours is good when that’s exactly what they say too? * If you make a list of writers who preferred exile to life in their own homeland, you may end up with a who’s who is contemporary literature. * Our reality is so unbearable that my objectivity is sometimes confused with self-hatred. * “When we kill them it’s good; when they kills us it’s bad.” What’s the difference between this mindset and the one expressed by an African tribal chieftain quoted by C.G. Jung in his memoirs: “When my enemy steals my wives, it’s bad; when I steal his it’s good.” * To those who say “I don’t agree with you. Human beings are better than that; so is life.” All I can say is: “Enjoy your innocence (or is it ignorance?) while you can. It won’t last.” * How often do I find myself saying: “I would have agreed with you thirty years ago.” # Tuesday, February 05, 2013 ************************************** COMMISSARS OF CULTURE *************************************** Q: Who are they? Could we have a definition? A: They are Armenians who know what must be said and done but who want someone else to do it for them. Q: Why? A: The obvious answer is, they don’t know. They only pretend to know. They are bluffing. Just like their role models in the USSR who trusted Stalin more than Solzhenitsyn. Our commissars today trust more our bosses, bishops, and benefactors than our writers. Q: Why do they? A: My guess is they believe literature to be a dead end. No money in it. No power. No future. Our history is clear on this point: To write for Armenians is a waste of time. Q: Knowing this you go on writing, why? A: A good question, but I have a better one for you: Why do Armenians who are brought up to believe they are smart, progressive and civilized choose to behave like inbred morons when it comes to politics and collective action? More precisely, why do they support our dividers and grave-diggers? Q: You must have an answer to that question. A: I don’t! Unless of course we say they behave like morons because they are in fact morons. Q: I wouldn’t describe that as a diplomatic explanation. A: Literature is not diplomacy. Neither is it a profitable enterprise unless of course you decide to write about the Middle Ages and the massacres. But that’s a subject for another conversation. # Wednesday, February 06, 2013 ******************************************* ON BEING AN ARMENIAN WRITER ******************************************** Q: What are some of the positives and negatives in being an Armenian writer? A: Positives? None! Negatives? To begin with you work for nothing; you are treated like an unemployed and unemployable misfit, a mental masturbator; morons take it upon themselves to tell you what to write and how to write it; and worst of all, you are dependent on the charity of swine. A: Aren’t you afraid that by using angry words you may run the risk of undermining your own objectivity? A: I am more than willing to take that chance. Those who are against me will be against me even if I were to speak like an angel. And I have every reason to suspect if so far Armenian writers have been ignored it’s because they were afraid to go down into the gutter where our self-appointed “betters” and their dupes live. Some day if these gentlemen are unmasked, they will be exposed as bottom-of-the-barrel egomaniacal sociopaths and bullies who operate on the assumption that they know better and our only option is to say “Yes sir!” Q: "The Sultan is dead, long live the Sultan?" A: That’s true for Ottomanized Armenians. For Sovietized Armenians it’s “Stalin is dead, long live our commissars!” Q: Do you see a light at the end of the tunnel? A: For me, no! For those who may follow me, maybe. You never know…anything is possible. And they say I am a pessimist. What the hell do they know? #

No comments: