Saturday, December 15, 2007

translation

A MOTHER’S HEART
********************************
By AVEDIK ISSAHAKIAN
************************************
There is an old tale
About a boy
An only son
Who fell in love with a lass.
*
“You don’t love me,
You never did,” said she to him.
“But if you do, go then
And fetch me your mother’s heart.”
*
Downcast and distraught
The boy walked off
And after shedding copious tears
Came back to his love.
*
The girl was angry
When she saw him thus
And said, “Don’t you dare come back again
Without your mother’s heart.”
*
The boy went and killed
A mountain roe deer
And offered its heart
To the one he adored.
*
But again she was angry
And said, “Get out of my sight.
I told you what I want
Is your mother’s heart.”
*
The boy went and killed
His mother, and as he ran
With her heart in his hand
He slipped and fell.
*
“My dear child,
My poor child,”
Cried the mother’s heart,
“Did you hurt yourself?”
*
(Translated by Ara Baliozian)
#

1 comment:

Eleftheria said...

Which year did Issahakian wrote this poem? Thank you.