Saturday, May 17, 2008

shop talk

Thursday, May 15, 2008
*********************************************
SHOP TALK
*******************************
The trouble with me as a writer is that, unlike our Turcocentric ghazetajis who write about nothing else but massacres, bloodthirsty Asiatic barbarians, atrocities, and unspeakable crimes against humanity, I have an eye only for the dark side of life. I stress the negative in human nature and completely ignore the positive.
*
An Armenian poetess calls to inform me she is donating the royalties of her next book to Etchmiadzin. I don’t have the heart to tell her I have been in this business for a quarter of a century and I have never heard of an Armenian writer who has made two cents from royalties. But I suspect she already knows. Armenians have an amazing gift for pretending not to know the obvious.
*
In a letter from a friend: "If, as you say, Armenian literature is a dead end, why not give up writing?"
I write for two totally non-literary reasons: to fight boredom and to acquire friends; and with every book I have published, I have acquired a new friend; also (alas!) two, and sometimes even twenty-two, enemies.
#
Friday, May 16, 2008
***************************************
RANDOM THOUGHTS
********************************
Chekhov: "Love, friendship, respect do not unite people as much as common hatred for something." Our leadership has known this for some time; hence, their unspoken slogan: "There is no business like shoah business."
*
What divides a nation is neither theology nor ideology but leaders who consider their own powers and privileges more important than the survival of the nation.
*
Where there is an Armenian church you will also find a wealthy dupe with a guilty conscience.
*
A fellow Armenian (a white-haired no-nonsense type) knocks on my door, introduces himself, barges in, and demands to know if I am really an atheist. I tell him, I don’t believe in he god of our priests. He is too puzzled by my answer to pursue the matter. What I fail to add is that, the true atheist is he who uses someone else’s crucifixion to make a comfortable living.
*
If a man is open to ruin, he will be ruined by success as easily as by failure.
#
Saturday, May 17, 2008
***************************************
NOTES / COMMENTS
*******************************
If we cannot trust experts, historians, religious leaders and politicians on the grounds that they contradict one another, whom can we trust? The answer must be obvious: nobody! Not even our own judgment. We may however mistrust less those who deal in doubts and probabilities as opposed to certainties and dogmas.
*
To be against objectivity is to be for deception.
*
Love of God and Country become pathological aberrations when they find expression only in hatred for the enemy and fellow countrymen who do not share our hatred.
*
Honesty is a career in which the failures outnumber the successes.
*
It’s because they want to silence me that I keep talking. On the day they shut up, I will sing my swan song.
#

2 comments:

Aram said...

Dear Mr. Baliozian,
the ministry of culture of Armenia is going to hold the centennial of Saroyan . The ministry would like to contact you and to invite you to a conference devoted to WS this October. Could you please send me your e-mail to discuss the details.
Regards, Aram Ohanian, translator

ARA BALIOZIAN said...

my e-mail address is arabaliozian@yahoo.com
i doubt if i will be able to travel this year...
thanks for the invitation./ara